The process of moving within the EU
09 May 2014

Around 11 million EU citizens have taken up the freedom to move within the EU, living in different countries to their place of birth. With an identity card or a passport, you can travel to another EU country without needing to go through applications for visas. In many cases, even these documents are not needed within the Schengen area (The majority of EU countries, including Greece, where there are no border controls) but it is advisable to have them, just in case. Once you arrive in the country, you have the right to reside in it for up to three months without any conditions or formalities, although an identity card or passport is needed. If you are moving for better job prospects, then jobseekers can benefit for a period of six months for more if they continuously search for a job and have a chance of finding work. Once a period of time has elapsed, EU member countries may require you to announce your presence within the country. If you are required to do so, you need to apply for a registration certificate.

Following this period of time, you are allowed to remain if you are employed or self-employed. A student must be enrolled in study or vocational training, must have comprehensive sickness insurance cover and must sufficient resources to support themselves. This latter requirement applies to the economically inactive, such as the retired, who wish to reside in an EU country. After five years of continuous legal residence, you are allowed to apply for permanent residence.

Naturally, the process of moving is somewhat more complicated when you add in various other factors that are, presumably, taken care of before the actual move across countries. A house would need to be purchased, and if you are planning to move to Crete, you need a Greek bank account to facilitate and ease the transfer of funds. Topographic plans are needed and the title regarding the property needs to be checked. You also need a Greek tax code which requires paperwork including your birth certificate and a photocopy of the last two pages of your passport. On top of this, your birth certificate needs to be translated into Greek. You will need to pay taxes regarding the property and, once fully purchased, the contract signed in the presence of the Notary Public. At Crete Perfect Home, we can help you with every aspect of the process, advising and providing practical help with matters such as bank accounts, purchases, sales and other matters which may seem daunting.

Though there are a few practical factors to consider, moving to another country can be one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have. It can help you to begin your life anew and can help you to achieve your dreams. We are dedicated to helping people who wish to find the best Crete homes, properties and Crete villas for sale, enabling them to achieve their goals of moving to this beautiful part of the world.