Crete property for sale
Join our Facebook community! . Crete property Design & build Contact Latest Facts Info .

News archives

2005
(9)

2006
(18)

2007
(11)

2008
(24)

2009
(43)

2010
(27)

2012
(1)

2013
(1)

2014
(51)

2015
(33)

2016
(27)

2017
(23)

The return of fixed-rate mortgages
Athens Plus, 5 June 2009

The fall in interest rates seems to have reached its limit following the latest cut in the European Central Bank's (ECB) key rate to a record low of 1 percent and in view of projections of gradual recovery from next year.

The prevalent view at Greek banks is that floating rates cannot be reduced any further, given that the prospect of recovery no longer appears distant and, indeed, the question is not when rates will begin to climb again, but at what pace.

But although the average floating rate at commercial banks has fallen significantly from its high in 2008 of 5.92 percent in October to 3.83 percent in March, the indications are that there is still some room for reduction. Banks are cautiously beginning to trim their spreads, mainly for mortgage loans that do not cover more than 75 percent of the value of the property, while the government's guarantee for the remaining 25 percent is seen as giving a small boost to the market.

But the rekindling of demand and the prospect of recovery in the third quarter is fueling uncertainty regarding floating mortgage rates.

National Bank's recent move to bring down the fixed five-year rate to 4.9 percent appears to be signaling strong competition in the fixed-rate segment. More banks are expected to follow soon. ECB March data confirmed that Greek fixed rates for between five and 10 years are among the highest in the eurozone - 5.26 percent in Greece, against averages of 4.34 percent and 4.61 percent in the eurozone for five and 10 years, respectively. This may be one reason why Greek borrowers still seem reluctant.

Bankers have noted the resurgence of fixed-rate loans elsewhere in the eurozone, as in Germany, where the most popular form of mortgage credit at present is the 10-year fixed rate loan. In the eurozone as a whole, new medium- and long- term fixed-rate loans totaled 29 billion in March, against 19.7 billion for floating-rate loans. New fixed-rate loans over 10 years totalled 12.4 billion, while those for between five and 10 years came to 9.8 billion.

The picture in Greece is completely different, with new fixed-rate loans for 10 years in March coming to just 68 of the 605-million-euro total, and five- to 10-year fixed rate loans reaching just 51 million euros.

Friday October 20, 2017
Property for saleproperty searcheshouse designbuilding constructionhome maintenance

Office
Kampouri 4
Kissamos • Crete
Greece

Phone/fax
+30 28220 22585

Mobile
+30 697 445 8179 / 80

Postal address
CPH • PO Box 2
Kissamos • Crete 73400
Greece

Email
Contact us via email!

Facebook
Join our Facebook community!

Licensed Greek real estate agents
Registered at the Chania Chamber of Commerce
Members of Chania Estate Agents Association
for assured property in Crete
We are members of SY.ME.NO.X

 

Detailed site map pages
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11




© 2005 - 2017 Crete Perfect Home. All rights reserved.